24 Gambling Statistics in Nigeria for 2020
Are you curious about the state of gambling in Africa in 2020?
We have curated a list of the top gambling statistics and facts in Nigeria
Gambling in Nigeria and other Africa countries comes in different forms and shapes. While football betting as a form of gambling is prevalent and most popular amongst Africa youths, there are other sports that are worthy of mention.
In these gambling statistics, we investigate how the top gambling statistics worldwide and more specifically in Nigeria.
General Gambling Overview
- Betting makes up 35% of the total gaming industry
- 26% of the world’s total population gamble. That means around 1.6 billion people worldwide gamble
- The worldwide betting industry is estimated to be worth $450bn
- Top counties with the highest betting lost per adult are Australia, Singapore, Ireland, and Canada with an estimated lost $1,788, $1.174, $588 and $568 respectively
- The world cup is the most heavily bet sporting event in the world with around $136 billion placed in bet on the World cup in 2018
- The global online gambling market size was estimated at USD 53.7 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 59.6 billion in 2020.
- Estimated global gross win in the US is $74.39bn
- 2 billion people in the US gamble at least once every year.
- 15 percent of Americans gamble at least once per week. Approximately two to three percent of Americans meet the criteria for problem gambling. That is around 6 million adults and about a half-million teens. The US gambling industry is estimated to be worth $240 billion industry
- The UK gambling industry is estimated to be worth $18billion
- Approximately 85 percent of Americans have gambled at least once in their lives; 80 percent have gambled in the previous year
- Europe dominated the online gambling market with a share of 41.0% in 2019. This is attributable to the legalization of gambling in countries such as France, Germany, Spain, Malta, and Italy.
Top Gambling Statistics in Nigeria
- There are over 60million Nigeria who has been actively involved in sports betting
- The sports industry in Nigeria is estimated to be worth about $730billion
- About $2b is spent on sports betting daily in Nigeria
- On average, punter spends around N3,000 daily on sports betting
- 53% of Nigeria engage in betting at least once a day
- 26% of people who bet that timely payment of bet wining as one of the major reasons will pick a betting platform
- The majority of bettors in Nigeria see betting as one of the means to make quick money.
- IN total, only 3 licensed casino exists in Nigeria
- Despite having only 3 licensed land casino estimated revenue from casino is estimated at around $70million yearly
- 14 million bet stakes and payments are made over the internet every day
- Around 1200 offline visitors per month visit an offline betting store
- Bet9ja is the second most visited website in Nigeria and #1 most visited online betting platform
- 2% of school-age children have gambled at least once in their lifetime and 77.6% of these have gambled in the past year, with 58.3% reporting unfettered access to gambling
- Bet9ja rakes in an average monthly turnover of $10m while the number 2 player behind Bet9ja, NairaBet makes an average turnover of $3m-$5m, a 20-30% margin on profit
- 77% of respondents attested to the high prevalence of betting and gambling in their locality; particularly amongst ‘respondents in the South-West (92%) and South-South (91%) geo-political zones, which recorded the highest prevalence’.
- About 70% of sports betting trade has been estimated to come from trading on football
- Lagos is the largest gambling city in the country, and it has 1 gambling facility, 10 table games, as well as 106 games, slots, and even video poker machines
Major Online SportsBook in Nigeria
How to Place Bets at Cloudbet
How to Place Bets at Cloudbet Once you have created an account at and made…
How to Reset your Supabets Account Password
There are multiple reasons why you should sign up with Supabets. One is because the…
What Is A DNB (Draw No Bet). How to Apply It to Betting
Draw No Bet is a market that is underrated among many punters worldwide. It has…
Sports Betting Trends of 2021
Betting is a form of gambling which has started thousands of years ago. People take…
Betting Terms 2020 – The Complete Online Betting Glossary
Betting and gambling have generally become straightforward and easy if you understand and know the…
Gambling in Nigeria Infographic – An Overview of the Betting Industry in Nigeria
Legal sports betting has been around for a while but only recently has it grown…